When the group behind the leak of Grand Theft Auto VI footage, CyberLeek, published its manifesto of demands, it wrapped itself in the language of consumer rights, name-checking game preservation and the fight to keep games playable after shut down. It leaned hard on the Stop Killing Games movement, and no more than 24 hours after making such demands, the same movement it's claiming to support has just told everyone that they aren't condoning the leaker's actions.
Stop Killing Games, the consumer-rights campaign that grew out of the outrage over Ubisoft pulling the plug on The Crew, put out a statement publicly disowning a group championing its cause, even refusing to name Cyberleek so as not to hand them more attention. They concur that the footage looks genuine based on how fast Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive hit it with takedowns, and then told its own community not to support them.
Stop Killing Games is a big deal. It has the support of actual lawmakers and has pushed countless petitions in the past. So when a group of hackers leaks stolen footage, straps a memecoin to it, and claims they're doing it for the people, the movement is involved whether it likes it or not. They're saying that the leak, which comes with a list of demands, has already come up in its discussions with people in authority, negatively, saying:
This kind of act is destructive and helps no one, worse, it risks tarnishing the reputation of our communities and our chances to make change. History isn’t on the leaker’s side either: the last person who did this to Rockstar, back in 2022, ended up with an indefinite hospital order. This isn’t a cause worth risking your money or your future on. (We seriously doubt that the hack was seriously for that reason).
Every lawmaker who now files game preservation next to hackers and crypto scams is a lawmaker harder to win, and Stop Killing Games knows it, which is precisely why it's distancing itself from the leak. It flat-out said it doubts the hack was ever really about consumer rights. When even your ideological allies suspect your principled crusade is a costume thrown over a crypto grab, you know that you did something wrong.
Who has turned on the GTA 6 leaker
Who | Where they landed |
|---|---|
Rockstar Games and Take-Two | Silence, plus a barrage of DMCA takedowns |
The biggest streamers | Slammed it or refused to touch it on stream |
Stop Killing Games | Publicly disowned the manifesto and doubts the real motive |
The 2022 precedent | The last hacker to try this ended up with an indefinite hospital order |
The one movement whose cause the leaker claimed to champion is the latest, and most damning, to walk away.
Stop Killing Games exists to fight publishers and it went out of its way to say it feels for everyone at Rockstar having to live through this again, and to point out that the people hit hardest are the thousands of developers who actually built the game. The anti-publisher activists showed more concern for Rockstar's workers than the self-styled pro-consumer hackers did. The leaker claims to fight for the little guy while trampling a few thousand of them.
Sure, games really do get switched off with your money kept, which is the whole reason the movement exists and it's the same concern that has Grand Theft Auto Online players nervous about their own community servers. The grievances are still as real as they were last week. It's just that Stop Killing Games is drawing the line between itself and the leaker.
The leaker is now boxed in on every side. Rockstar is completely ignoring it, the biggest streamers will not go near it, the 2022 precedent hangs over it, and the one movement whose banner it grabbed has torn it down in public. The actual fight over preservation and ownership rolls on, slower and far less exciting, in petitions and lawmaker meetings, and the real GTA 6 moment is still the Extended Look on Netflix on August 27, ahead of the November 19 launch.

