Now that Grand Theft Auto Online has gone standalone - though not (yet) free to play - it was only a matter of time before Rockstar Games introduced some kind of subscription service. These subscriptions are all the rage in the industry right now, and it was inevitable for one of the biggest games to eventually jump on the bandwagon. So, what's included and how much does it cost?
GTA+ will only be available to players on PlayStation 5 and Xbox Series X|S. Why Rockstar Games chose to weirdly snub PC from this alongside Hao's Special Works is a mystery, but they're going forward with this generational split nonetheless. The subscription service will launch on the 29th of March.
So what do you actually get for being a GTA+ subscriber? Firstly, there will be a fixed monthly amount of GTA$500,000 added to your account as long as you are a subscriber, and on a rotating monthly basis you'll be able to claim certain properties and items in-game for free - usually tied to some older piece of DLC where owning the property is needed to access gameplay content.
There will also be some subscribers-only discounts and bonuses available in GTA Online, also on a rotating schedule, not unlike the current weekly selection of activities that pay out double or triple the usual rewards and discounted items.
GTA BOOM now has its own community discussion forum! Chat directly with our guide creators, ask questions, & get tips and advice.
To give players a better idea of what's included in this subscription, Rockstar Games has revealed exactly what the unlocks and bonuses for the first month of GTA+ will be. If you subscribe between March 29 and April 27, you'll receive the following:
- The Principe Deveste Eight, Hao’s Special Works upgrade early access, HSW Orange Trip and HSW CMYK Glitch Liveries.
- The Auto Shop located in La Mesa, or a free relocation to La Mesa.
- Waived LS Car Meet Membership fees plus a reimbursement for current members.
- Yacht owners can upgrade to the Aquarius Super Yacht at no additional cost.
- The Gussét Frog Tee and Broker Prolaps Basketball Top and Shorts.
- The Conveyor Livery for the Mammoth Avenger, HVY APC, and TM-02 Khanjali.
- A selection of free paints and emblems for the Auto Shop.
- 3X GTA$ and RP on Hao’s Special Works Race Series.
- 2X Car Meet Rep on the Street Race Series.
As a GTA+ subscriber you will also gain access to a selection of exclusive Shark Cards which offer better GTA$ values, available via the digital stores of whichever current-gen console you're playing on.
GTA+ will cost US$5.99 or its equivalent billed every month. Whether or not the included goodies add up to enough value to make it worthwhile is up to players to decide, but Rockstar might be stretching things with that pricing - that said this is a tough line to walk. More exclusive content would make the price easier to swallow, but players not keen on paying extra would be riled up about missing out on content.
Whichever camp you find yourself in, GTA+ launches March 29.